Learn What To Do If You Get Into A Car Accident
The best way to deal with an accident is to be prepared for one. Here are some things you can do to right now to make sure you're ready for the unpredictable.
- Keep a vehicle safety kit in your car.
- Put your most important info in the glovebox (ID cards, vehicle registration, emergency contacts, health insurance cards, etc.)
- Make sure your phone is charged and download the GEICO Mobile app. It'll come in super-handy at the accident scene and throughout the car repair process.
At The Accident Scene
Be sure to:
- Move your car to a safe nearby location, but be careful not to leave the scene.
- Check to see if anyone is hurt and call 911 for medical assistance.
- Contact the police. They'll let you know if an officer needs to be present.
- If your car isn't drivable, you can request roadside assistance.
What information should you exchange?
First, don't reveal your policy limits or admit fault to anyone other than GEICO. Jot down or use the GEICO Mobile app's Accident Assistance feature to collect the following information:
- Names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses of all occupants and witnesses
- Photos of the accident scene and all vehicles involved
- Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies
- If emergency services respond: police report number, phone number, officer name and badge number, etc.
Report A Claim
What happens next?
First, you'll make an appointment to get a vehicle damage estimate at one of our inspection sites. If your car isn't safe to drive, we'll send a GEICO adjuster to look at your car at the location where it has been towed. You don't have to meet with our adjuster at the tow location unless you want to. This appointment typically takes about 30 minutes.
About The Car Repair Process
You can have your vehicle repaired anywhere you wish. If you'd like our help when choosing a repair shop, consider and Auto Repair Xpress® location. You'll get convenient and guaranteed repairs.
The adjuster and shop will begin the repair process as soon as you drop off your vehicle at the Auto Repair Xpress facility, and you'll get regular updates on your car's repair progress. The whole process relieves you of stress and inconvenience!
Quick Claims Access