What to Do After a Car Accident
What should I do at the scene of the accident?
Being in an accident can be very stressful. Learn what steps you need to take after an accident now.
- Check to see if anyone was hurt
- Call 911, to request any needed medical assistance
- Move your car to a safe location, but do not leave the scene
- Do not admit fault or reveal your policy limits
- Contact the police. They'll send an officer if necessary
- Exchange information with those involved
- If your car isn't drivable, request roadside assistance
What information should you collect?
- Names, phone numbers, mailing addresses, and email addresses of the other driver(s), all vehicle occupants, and witnesses
- Location of the incident
- Photos of the scene and all vehicles involved, including tag numbers
- Insurance information from others involved: company name, policy number, and phone number
If emergency services respond, make a note of:
- Police report number
- Phone number
- Officer name and badge number
The GEICO Mobile app makes it easy to collect information and report your claim.
Report a Claim
If eligible, you can schedule a damage inspection, repair, and rental.
It's important to report your claim as soon as possible for a number of reasons. For example, accidents require a more detailed investigation. It's also better to investigate quickly after the accident so that everyone remembers the details.
Inspection and Repair Process
Once you report your claim, if eligible, make an appointment for a damage inspection.
- The inspection typically takes around 30 minutes.
- If your car isn't safe to drive, we'll send a GEICO adjuster to look at your car.
- You don't have to meet with our adjuster unless you want to.
After the inspection, you can have your vehicle repaired anywhere you wish.
Consider an Auto Repair Xpress® location for one-stop inspection, repair, and rental.
- The shop will begin the repair process as soon as you drop off your vehicle.
- You can go home in a rental vehicle if you have rental reimbursement coverage.
- You'll get regular updates on your car's repair progress
How to Be Prepared for Accidents
Here are some things you can do to make sure you're ready in case of an accident: