Car Insurance Quotes in Tampa, FL
Auto Insurance for Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater, FL
Looking for great car insurance quote in Tampa, FL? GEICO offers car insurance in Tampa with great coverage at affordable rates. Whether you're new to the Tampa Bay region or looking to switch insurance providers, we can help. From convenient features like our GEICO Mobile app to car insurance discounts, GEICO can provide an outstanding car insurance experience from the moment you get a free online quote.
Did you know that nearly one in four Florida motorists may be driving with no car insurance?* With over 4 million people from Wesley Chapel to St Pete, Tampa area drivers need a reliable car insurance policy to protect them after an accident.
It's important that you and your vehicle are protected by the right kind of insurance in case of an accident. GEICO offers great low rates in the Tampa Bay Area, so don't wait another minute—get a Tampa auto insurance quote online today.
Driving Around Tampa and St. Petersburg
Tampa Bay is commonly divided into six general areas:
- Downtown Tampa
- New Tampa
- West Tampa
- East Tampa
- North Tampa
- South Tampa
Two major expressways run through Tampa:
- State Route 610 (the Lee Roy Selmon Expressway) runs east-west from the suburb of Brandon through Downtown Tampa to South Tampa near MacDill Air Force Base.
- State Route 589 (the Veterans Expressway) runs north-south from Tampa International Airport up to the northwestern suburbs and continuing north as the Suncoast Parkway.
There are also three interstates that run through the city of Tampa.
- Interstate 275 runs from Pasco County in the north to Downtown Tampa. Interstate 275 then branches west and continues across Old Tampa Bay over the Howard Frankland Bridge, eventually reaching St. Petersburg and ending at the Sunshine Skyway bridge.
- Interstate 4 runs east-to-west into Downtown Tampa and connects with I-275.
- Interstate 75 runs north-south through the eastern suburbs and through the area of New Tampa in the northeast.
Other major arteries in Tampa include Hillsborough Avenue, the Dale Mabry Highway, Busch Boulevard, Nebraska Avenue, Fowler Avenue, Florida Avenue, Kennedy Boulevard, Adamo Drive, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
Safety Tips for Driving in the Rain in the Tampa Area
The Tampa Bay region, like most of peninsular Florida, gets frequent afternoon thunderstorms, especially from June through September. If you live in Tampa or St. Pete, chances are good that you'll get caught in a downpour at some point, so it's important to know how to drive safely when the storms hit.
- Get in the habit of turning on your low beam headlights every time you turn on your windshield wipers. It's not just a good idea—it's Florida law. Chances are good that if you're having a hard time seeing, it's also hard for others to see you, and your headlights will help make you more visible to other drivers.
- In bad road conditions, drive slower than the speed limit and keep a longer-than normal distance between you and the car in front of you, but don't impede traffic. The more wet the roads are, the longer it will take for your car to come to a complete stop if you have to brake suddenly. Rain can also make your brakes wet, which can cause them to be less effective.
- If you feel your car hydroplaning, do not slam on the brakes or jerk the wheel. Rather, hold the wheel steady, take your foot off the accelerator and coast until you feel your tires regain traction.
- If it's raining too hard for you to see the edge of the road or other vehicles, pull over and wait for the storm to let up. Often, summer storms may last only 15-30 minutes. Find a rest stop or parking lot if you can; if not, pull to the shoulder and turn on your hazard lights. Do not turn on your hazard lights while your car is still moving—it is against Florida law. Always make sure you leave plenty of room between your parked vehicle and passing traffic.
Tampa, FL Insurance Agents
We have experienced local insurance agents ready to answer questions about auto insurance or other insurance needs. We're located across Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Clearwater area ready to help you. Learn more about our Tampa insurance agents.
More on Florida Car Insurance
Need to find out more about Florida auto insurance laws? Just moved to Florida? Adding a new teen driver to your policy? If so, check out our Florida car insurance page for valuable information you'll need before making a decision about your auto insurance policy.