Understanding Mechanical Breakdown Claims
If your vehicle is protected by GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI), you're covered for repairs (excluding maintenance or wear and tear) to all mechanical parts of the car. We realize how inconvenient it can be to have your vehicle out of service, so we strive to get you back on the road as soon as possible with a quality repair.
The following tips will help make your MBI claim experience quick and easy:
- DO NOT allow any repairs to begin until you obtain authorization from GEICO. If you fail to give GEICO the opportunity to investigate thoroughly before repairs begin, you may jeopardize your claim.
- You can report your MBI claim online or call us at (800) 443-7411 anytime. Either way, you can report your claim in about 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As you begin the reporting process, please make sure that you have as much information as possible available about your mechanical breakdown.
- Once you report the breakdown, one of our claim examiners will call you within 24 hours to explain the MBI claim process. This examiner will keep you informed throughout the repair process and will ensure that your vehicle is repaired properly.
- You may take your vehicle to the repair facility of your choice. Tell the repair facility that you have MBI and give them your GEICO policy number. Instruct them to call us at (800) 443-7411 with a diagnosis of the problem and a repair estimate before they begin to fix your vehicle.
- Once we hear from the repair facility, your examiner will determine if a physical inspection of the vehicle is necessary. Inspections usually occur within 24 hours.
- GEICO will pay the repair facility directly for covered claims. You will need to pay your $250 deductible directly to the repair facility. Note: if you have multiple unrelated problems, you will have to pay a separate deductible for each problem. For example, if your brakes and your air conditioner both need to be fixed, you would have a $250 deductible for each repair.
- If your repair facility is unable to diagnose any mechanical failure with your vehicle, GEICO will not pay for any diagnostic fees.
This material is intended for general information only. It does not expand coverage beyond the policy contract. Please refer to your policy contract for any specific information or questions on applicability of coverage.