Kansas Car Insurance

Auto Insurance Coverage in KS

According to a recent survey, Kansas drivers ranked highest in the country when it comes to knowing safe driving laws. With statistics like that, it's no wonder driving around places like Olathe, Topeka, Salina, Hays, Wichita, or Dodge City is so nice. But no matter where you drive, be sure your vehicles are covered by the right auto insurance for the state of Kansas. Get a free Kansas car insurance quote with GEICO.

Driving Hazards in Kansas

Despite Kansas's flat and straight roads, driving can sometimes prove to be a challenge. On major roads, like I-70, driver fatigue can become a big problem when driving for long distances. The weather in Kansas can also pose problems. During Kansas's infamous tornado season, severe thunderstorms appear frequently and with little warning. These storms often produce large, damaging hail and tornadoes. The National Weather Service recommends that if you see a tornado while driving, you should never try to out-drive it in your car. The storms can often change direction and have the potential to pick up a car or truck. If possible, park your vehicle and find shelter in a nearby building. If there is no time to get inside, find a low-lying area or ditch away from the vehicle and lay in it. Just be aware for the potential of flooding from heavy rains during the storm.

Learn More About Required Kansas Auto Insurance Coverage

The minimum requirements for car insurance in Kansas are:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability coverage: $25,000
  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
  • Basic personal injury protection coverage: $4,500 per person

Teen Drivers in Kansas

Learner's Permit: In Kansas, teens as young as 14 can apply for an Instruction Permit with their parents' permission and after passing written and visual tests. The Learner's Permit must be held for at least 12 months. Drivers must drive a minimum of 25 hours and be accompanied by a licensed driver age 21 or older. There also cannot be any other passengers in the vehicle.

Restricted License: Teens can apply for a Restricted License at age 15 if they have passed a driver's education course or at age 16 if they have not. An additional 25 hours of driving must be logged, including 10 at night, while under the supervision of a licensed adult age 21 or older. The teen can only drive between 5:00 AM and 9:00 PM. If under age 16, no minors can be in the car unless they are family members. If age 16 or over, drivers are required to be under the supervision of a licensed adult age 21 or older, and only one non-family member minor is allowed in the vehicle.

Full License: All restrictions are lifted, and a Full License is granted, at age 16 years, 6 months.

Kansas Registration Information

You will need to take the vehicle and the title for the vehicle to a motor vehicle inspection station and obtain a Motor Vehicle Examination (form MVE-1) before going to the county treasurer's motor vehicle office.

Take the title, pink copy of the MVE-1 and proof of insurance with you to the county treasurer's motor vehicle office to complete an application for a Kansas title and registration.

Each county has their own mill levy for personal property taxes so you will need to contact the county treasurer's office to determine the amount of fees and taxes due.