Information Regarding GEICO Insurance And Canada

If you are thinking of driving your car to Canada, rest assured that your GEICO insurance will still cover you. While we do not offer insurance to residents of Canada, GEICO's coverage in the United States does extend north of the border.

Please read the following important information if you plan to drive your car into Canada.

Not yet insured with GEICO? Get a free car insurance quote now to see how much you could save.

What do I need to drive my car across the border into Canada?

If you reside in the United States and are planning to drive your car into Canada, you need to have all of the following items on hand when you arrive at the border:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship – As of June 1, 2009, all travelers, including US citizens 16 years of age or over, are required to have a passport or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. U.S. citizens under the age of 16 can present their original birth certificate, a copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card. For more information regarding the travel documents that are needed for entry into Canada (and re-entry into the U.S.), visit the U.S. State Department Travel page for Canada.
  • Proof of Auto Insurance – In order to provide proof of auto insurance at the border, your standard GEICO insurance ID card will work. Canadian ID cards are not necessary if you're visiting Canada as a tourist.
    If you need new or replacement ID cards, simply log in online and visit the Policy Documents section where you can choose whether you'd like to email, print, or fax a copy. If you haven't registered your policy online yet, you can sign up now.
  • Vehicle Registration – Drivers must also have their vehicle registration on hand at the border. Border officials are always on the lookout for stolen vehicles or people trying to avoid duties on vehicles purchased outside the country, so it is important to make sure you have your vehicle registration with you.

What can I expect when I reach the Canadian Border?

Upon arriving at the Canadian border services booth, the driver will be required to roll down the front and back windows of the car so that the border officer can speak with everyone in the vehicle.

The Border Services Officer will ask the driver a series of questions. They may ask for the address of the place you will be staying during your trip, how long you plan to stay in Canada, why you're traveling to Canada, or similar questions about your trip. These questions must be answered honestly and directly.

What can I expect when driving in Canada?

Driving in Canada is similar to driving in parts of the United States. However, distances and speeds are posted in kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour.

Some signs, particularly in Quebec, may be in French.

What if I rent a car in the U.S. and want to drive into Canada?

If you plan to drive a car rented in the United States into Canada and back again, check with the rental car company as to whether or not they will allow you to drive the rental car across the border.

If the rental car company allows you to drive in Canada, all the information provided above still applies. Your rental car company can provide you with additional details.