When to Add a Driver
Are you deciding whether to add a driver to your insurance policy? It can be confusing! Adding drivers to your policy, when appropriate, could help you avoid negative consequences in the event of a lending loss. The information below can help guide you in making the right decision.
Adding a Driver to Your Policy
Should you add a driver to your policy? Here are some things you’ll want to consider:
- Who will drive your vehicle and how often they’ll drive it
- Do they own or co-own your vehicle
- The driver’s relationship to you
- Whether the driver lives with you
Drivers who live in your household and/or regularly operate (an operator who uses the vehicle more than once per month on a recurring basis) your vehicle should typically be added to your policy.
Below are some examples of people you should consider adding to your insurance policy:
- Spouses are typically required to be on your policy
- Significant others/partners/fiancés should be added to your policy if they live in the household and regularly operate your vehicle
- Teen drivers and college students need to be added to your policy if they have a learner's permit or a valid driver license
- Roommates who live in your household and regularly operate your vehicle should be added to your policy
- Friends can be added to your policy if they regularly drive your vehicle
If I add a driver will it affect my premium or rate?
In some cases, adding a driver to your policy can affect your premium, but not always. Many factors determine the cost of adding a driver, like driver relationship, age, driving history, past claims, and driving records.
For example, adding a newly licensed teen driver with little driving experience can increase the premium, but a good student discount may be able to help offset that difference. Regardless of the type of driver you are adding to your policy, experienced drivers may be eligible for additional discounts, as most insurance companies have discounts for good drivers.
How to Add a Driver
Make sure to have the following information available when adding a driver:
- Full Name as it appears on their driver’s license
- Date of Birth
- Date first licensed
- Driver’s License Number
For additional help, chat with us online or call 1-800-841-3000 to talk to one of our licensed agents.
The above is meant as general information to help you understand the types of drivers you may need to add to your policy. This information does not refer to any specific contract of insurance and does not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.