What is condo insurance?

woman sitting at kitchen tableCondo insurance is coverage that helps protect against losses and repair costs for a condominium unit. Condo insurance often provides protection for theft, vandalism, fire damage, water damage, and more.

Condos are a great alternative to renting an apartment or owning a single-family home and they have their own unique insurance needs. But if we may be so bold, after years of dealing with a little, talking green guy, we know a thing or two about "unique."

So take a second to look around our site; you can learn about condominium insurance below, then get a condo insurance rate quote to see if we can help you get the coverage you need to protect your residence and your belongings.

Why do I need condo insurance?

Condo insurance can still come in handy, even if your condominium association has their own coverage. Their insurance might cover the condominium building, commonly owned property, and liability insurance for the association.

Unfortunately, there are many cases where that insurance policy won't cover you or your things—like a break in, water damage to your living room walls, or someone injuring themselves slipping on your wet kitchen floor. That's why you need condominium insurance designed specifically for condo or co-op owners.

Condominium policies help protect your personal property and the interior of your unit. You will also have liability protection for bodily injury or property damage to others. It's easy to get a quote for a condominium insurance policy that will provide these coverages. Need help estimating the value of the contents in your condo or co-op? Try our easy to use personal property calculator.

What does a condo insurance policy cover?

The articles of the condominium association and state law determine exactly what's covered under the association's master insurance policy.

In most cases the association's coverage stops after the exterior walls meaning that you are responsible for the interior walls and possibly for fixtures, as well as your personal property and liability. This is where your own personal condo policy would come in. Most policies will include coverage for losses arising from:

  • Fire or Lightning
  • Windstorm
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism or Malicious Mischief
  • Theft
  • Accidental Discharge of Water

Looking for more detail? Just give one of our sales counselors a call at (800) 841-3005; they'll be happy to provide an in-depth explanation.


The GEICO Insurance Agency will help you set up a top-notch condominium insurance policy at a great rate. On top of that, you'll have access to our highly trained service agents. They love to chat about condominium insurance (a rare breed, to be sure!) and they'll be happy to help you make a change to your policy or answer any questions you may have.

Please note:

The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.

Condo coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, LLC.