What is personal property coverage?

Personal property coverage protects things within your home like your computer, comfy couch, and favorite jacket from damage due to a covered loss. Whether you own a house, condo, or rent an apartment, your property insurance policy typically includes personal property coverage.

Personal property coverage is important. You should make sure you understand what it covers and how much you need to include in your policy.

We can help you find property insurance for your home.

What does personal property coverage cover?

Personal property coverage can help pay to repair or replace your personal items after a covered loss, such as fire or theft.

Protected items generally include:

  • Furniture
  • Appliances
  • Clothing
  • Electronics (TVs, computers, cameras)
  • Tools
  • Dishes/cookware

Personal property coverage may also extend to losses that occur away from your residence. Coverage may be more limited for these losses.

How much coverage do I need?

Most people don't realize what their belongings are worth. Your household possessions have a good chance of being more valuable than you think!

Use our personal property calculator to find out how much personal property coverage you need.

I rent, does my landlord's insurance cover my personal belongings?

Generally your landlord's insurance covers the building but nothing inside of your home. A renters policy can provide coverage for your belongings. Use our calculator to find out how much coverage you might need.

Is jewelry covered by personal insurance coverage?

Some expensive jewelry may need additional coverage. We can help you find jewelry insurance to fit your needs.

Protect your personal items now.

If you don't have a homeowners, renters, or condo policy, your personal belongings may not be protected. Use our calculator to find out how much personal property coverage you may need and get a quote today.

Please note:

The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.

Homeowners, renters, condo/co-op, and mobile home coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, LLC. The information you provide will be shared with our business partners so that they can return a quote.