Frequently Asked Questions for Flood Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions for Flood Insurance

  • Does homeowners insurance provide flood insurance?

    Most homeowners insurance policies don't provide flood insurance, but it's usually available as a separate policy.

  • Do I need flood insurance?

    You may be required to obtain flood insurance if you have a Federally secured loan and the property is in certain flood zones. It may be a good idea to have flood insurance even if it isn't required. It all depends on where you live.

    You can start by checking a flood map or elevation map of your neighborhood. You should be able to get this from a local land surveyor or you can contact FEMA. This is important when purchasing a home or property in coastal areas. If you're in the 100-year flood plain, then you may be at greater risk than normal for flood-related damage.

  • If I don't live near water or the coast, do I still need to see if I need flood insurance?

    Even if you don't live near water or the coast, there may still be a great risk of flooding. It's important to note that desert areas and very dry land are not able to absorb water as quickly as the coastal areas, resulting in more serious flash floods.

    Depending on the location of your home, you may still need to consider adding a flood policy for these types of situations since they are usually not covered by a normal homeowner's policy.

  • How long does it take for flood insurance to go into effect?

    It's best to get flood insurance in advance. It typically takes 30 days for flood insurance to go into effect, so trying to save a few dollars by leaving it for the last minute can cost you big time.

  • What is an elevation certificate?

    An elevation certificate has important information about your property that is needed if you are trying to get flood insurance and your property is in a high-risk area. The elevation certificate provides information on the property's location and any structure's lowest floor's elevation. This information helps determine your structure's compliance with floodplain regulations to evaluate your risk and how much your flood insurance will cost.

  • What if a flood causes my sewer system to overflow and back up into my house?

    To help prevent this, make sure you have a back flow valve installed in the sewage system. Also, protection against sewer water backing up into the home can be added onto your existing policy as a water back up endorsement and is different than flood insurance. Be sure you understand what coverages you do and don't have, as it can make a big difference in a messy situation.

  • I'm not sure if I need flood insurance, can you help?

    This depends on the location of your home. Even homes that are in non-flood zones can be damaged by a flood. In fact, 30% of flood damage occurs in areas that are not considered high risk. It's important to learn about flooding and to know what a flood is and understand the mitigating factors.

    Flood coverage can be tricky. You can get a flood insurance quote online or call us at (800) 841-3005 for additional help.

Please note:

The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.

When you click on the "Get a quote online" or "Get a flood insurance quote" link you will be taken to a site owned by Assurant, not GEICO. GEICO has no control over the privacy practices of the company mentioned above and assumes no responsibilities in connection with your use of their website. Any information that you provide directly to them is subject to the privacy policy posted on their website.

Flood coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency LLC.