Understanding Overseas Insurance

Who's eligible for overseas insurance?

You don't have to sail the seven seas just to find great overseas insurance. If you're taking your own car or motorcycle overseas for personal travel, chances are we've got a policy for you! We even offer marine insurance to help cover your vehicle during shipping. Need coverage for your belongings? GEICO can help you with overseas personal property insurance, too!

Policy coverages are based on a 12-month term and automatic renewal is available in most countries. Many of the overseas insurance policies we set up are written for military or government employees who are stationed overseas, as well as a small number of policies for expats working abroad.

There's no place like home.

You may be eligible for a preferred rate with GEICO auto in the United States if you are insured with us while overseas. When preparing for your return to the States, contact one of our overseas insurance offices or call (800) 248-4998 to get an auto, homeowners, or renters insurance quote at your new stateside address.

What should I do before I leave?

  • Be sure to notify your local DMV/MVA prior to shipping your vehicle out of the country. State guidelines vary in terms of the process for turning in (or retaining) your license plates and may change based on the nature & duration of your overseas travel.
  • Be sure to set up your policy before leaving the states so you are insured as soon as you and your vehicle arrive overseas.
  • An overseas insurance policy arranged through GEICO will usually offer more liability coverage than policies issued by local agents overseas who typically focus on policies for residents of the country you're visiting. In addition, we are familiar with US-spec vehicles. This is one instance where it's probably better to skip the "authentic native experience."
  • Determine if you need marine transit coverage. We can help insure your vehicles for marine transit to and from the States so they are covered if anything happens while they are being shipped.
  • Stateside warehouse or commercial storage coverage may also be available if you have an overseas personal property insurance policy managed by GEICO. Again, this is something you'll want to check out prior to leaving the States.