Pennsylvania Car Insurance

Auto Insurance Coverage in PA—The Basics

Whether you've just arrived in Pennsylvania or have lived in the state all your life, fully understanding your Pennsylvania car insurance options is vital. Read more below or start your Pennsylvania auto insurance quote online, or call us at (800) 947-AUTO (2886).

As a driver in Pennsylvania, your vehicle is required to have at least the minimum amounts of coverage while it is on the road.

If you are caught without auto insurance, you may be fined as much as $300, and your driver's license, registration, and license plate could be suspended for three months.

When registering a vehicle in Pennsylvania, there are a number of forms that are required by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) to have your car registered. Some of these are available only at PennDOT facilities or through tag and title professionals, so don't wait until the last minute.

If you are moving to Pennsylvania, keep in mind all new residents are required to apply for a Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) and a Pennsylvania license within a specified amount of days of establishing residency.

Learn More About Pennsylvania Required Auto Coverage

Determining the limits on your auto insurance can be tricky, so you should speak with a licensed insurance representative. The minimum limits for Pennsylvania auto insurance are:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability coverage: $5,000
  • Uninsured motorist coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident*
  • Underinsured motorist coverage: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident*
  • First party benefits: $5,000

*Note: In Pennsylvania you may request to reject the uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages.

Additional Pennsylvania Auto Insurance Coverages

Do I need first party benefits in Pennsylvania?
The state of Pennsylvania requires a type of car insurance coverage called First Party Benefits, which provides a variety of medical benefits. Many options for this coverage are available, and your policy needs to have at least the lowest option of $5,000. If you want more medical coverage, a GEICO representative can help you choose the option that is best for you.

How do Pennsylvania's Tort coverages work?
If you have a car insurance policy in Pennsylvania, you have the option to carry either Full Tort or Limited Tort. Limited Tort limits your ability to sue other drivers for your pain and suffering if you are injured in an accident. If you would like to carry Limited Tort, you will need to sign and return a form to GEICO. It is very important to speak with a GEICO insurance expert to determine the tort option that is best for you.

Pennsylvania Teen Driving Laws

PA teen driving laws allow teens to apply for a learner's permit at age 16, and receive a restricted driver's license after six months of driving. Within that time, the teen must have at least 65 hours of supervised driving time, including 10 hours at night, and 5 hours of driving in inclement weather. The restricted license in PA also allows no more than one passenger under age 18 in the car for the first six months, and no more than three passengers afterwards. The driver also cannot operate a vehicle between 11 pm and 5 am. At age 17, all restrictions are lifted.

Pennsylvania Registration Information

Moved to Pennsylvania?

In order to register your vehicle(s), you will need to bring the following items to a Pennsylvania DMV office:

  • A valid title for all of the vehicles you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from your previous state.
  • Proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card, declaration page of an insurance policy, a copy of a valid binder or a copy of an application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan for all of the vehicles you will be registering. These documents must indicate both effective and expiration dates.
  • Form of personal identification.
  • Completed Form MV-1. This is a restricted form and is not available on-line. You must obtain from a messenger, tag agency or any Driver and Vehicle Service Center location.
  • A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary public at a dealership or issuing agent.
  • Appropriate title, lien, registration fees and sales tax (if applicable). Make checks or money orders payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please do not send cash.
  • If you are titling and registering a leased vehicle, the leasing company will also be required to complete Form MV-1L. NOTE: A Power of Attorney may be required from the leasing company.