SR-22 Insurance- What is it and how does it work?
What is an SR-22?
An SR-22 is a certificate of financial responsibility required for some drivers by their state or court order. An SR-22 is not an actual "type" of insurance, but a form filed with your state. This form serves as proof your auto insurance policy meets the minimum liability coverage required by state law.
What is an FR-44?
An FR-44 is like an SR-22 form in that it proves that a driver is carrying active liability insurance that meets or exceeds state minimum coverage requirements.* However, an FR-44 typically includes higher liability requirements than state minimums or SR-22 minimum coverages.
Do I need an SR-22/FR-44?
Not everyone needs an SR-22/FR-44. Regulations vary from state to state. Usually, it is required by the court or mandated by the state only for certain driving-related violations. For example:
- DUI convictions
- Reckless driving
- Accidents caused by uninsured drivers
If you need an SR-22/FR-44, the courts or your state Motor Vehicle Department will notify you.
How do I obtain an SR-22/FR-44?
- If you are not currently insured with GEICO, you'll need to start by obtaining a free car insurance quote.
- After purchase you will need to contact our Customer Service Department at (877) 206-0215 or via chat on geico.com and let us know that you need a certificate of financial responsibility or SR-22/FR-44.
- After you contact us, we will begin the process of filing an SR-22 or FR-44 certificate on your behalf.
We'll contact you if we need any additional information to complete the request.
You can also get the form by calling (800) 861-8380.
Current Customers can contact our Customer Service Department at (877) 206-0215. We will review the coverages on your policy and begin the process of filing the certificate on your behalf.
Is there a fee associated with an SR-22/FR-44?
- Most states charge a flat fee, but others require a surcharge.
- This is a one-time fee you must pay when we file the SR-22/FR-44. The only time you will have to pay more is if your policy lapses.
- A filing fee is charged for each individual SR-22/FR-44 we file. For example, if your spouse is on your policy and both of you need an SR-22/FR-44, then the filing fee will be charged twice.
Please note: The fee is not included in the rate quote because the filing fee can vary. This fee will be provided to you at the time of purchase.
How long is the SR-22/FR-44 valid?
Your SR-22/FR-44 should be valid as long as your insurance policy is active. If your insurance policy is canceled while you're still required to carry an SR-22/FR-44, we are required to notify the proper state authorities. If you don't maintain continuous coverage you could lose your driving privileges.
*Depending on your state of residence, the Certificate of Financial Responsibility form is referred to as either an SR-22 or an FR-44.