What is SR-22 or FR-44 insurance?
What is an SR-22/FR-44?
An SR-22 and an FR-44 are both Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) forms.* A CFR is a certificate required by the state and provided by your auto insurance company that verifies you have auto insurance liability coverage.
Do I need an SR-22/FR-44?
Not everyone needs an SR-22/FR-44. Regulations vary from state to state. Usually, it is required by the court or mandated by the state only for certain driving-related violations. For example:
- DUI convictions
- Reckless driving
- Accidents caused by uninsured drivers
If you need an SR-22/FR-44, the courts or your state Motor Vehicle Department will notify you.
How do I obtain an SR-22/FR-44?
- If you are not currently insured with GEICO, you'll need to start by obtaining a free car insurance quote.
- After receiving the quote, continue on to buy a policy and be sure to answer "Yes" to the question "Need a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or SR-22?".
- After you complete your purchase we will begin the process of filing the certificate on your behalf.
We will contact you if we need any additional information in order to complete the request.
You may also obtain the form by:
Phone - If you prefer to speak to one of our insurance counselors to get a free GEICO quote and buy a policy, please call (800) 861-8380 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Current Customers - If you are currently insured with GEICO and need and SR-22/FR-44, please contact our Customer Service Department at (877) 206-0215. One of our insurance counselors will review the coverages on your policy and begin the process to file the certificate with the proper state authorities on your behalf.
Is there a fee associated with an SR-22/FR-44?
- In most states, the filing fee is usually $25 but may be higher in some states.
- The filing fee is a one-time charge that you will need to pay when we file the SR-22/FR-44. You will not have to continue to pay the filing fee at each renewal. The only time you will have to pay more is if you allow your policy to lapse.
- A filing fee is charged for each individual SR-22/FR-44 we file. For example, if your spouse is on your policy and both of you need an SR-22/FR-44, then the filing fee will be charged twice.
Please note: Because the filing fee differs by state and other factors, the fee is not included in the rate quote provided to you by our online system and will be provided to you at the time of purchase.
How long is the SR-22/FR-44 valid?
As long as your insurance policy remains active, your SR-22/FR-44 should remain valid. If your insurance policy is canceled while you're still required to carry an SR-22/FR-44, we are required to notify the proper state authorities. Failure to maintain continuous coverage could cause you to lose your driving privileges.
*Depending on your state of residence, the Certificate of Financial Responsibility form is referred to as either an SR-22 or an FR-44.