Michigan Car Insurance

Car Insurance in Michigan

The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, finished in 1930, stretches for nearly a mile, and handles up to 29,000 vehicles every day. Cars are, of course, important to Michigan, and Detroit—the Motor City—is the car capital of the world. Outside of Motown, there are wonderful roads that will take you through places like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Flint, Kalamazoo, Troy and Warren, tucked between the Great Lakes. In fact, nowhere in Michigan is further than 85 miles from water. No matter where you go, be sure your vehicles are covered by the right auto insurance for the state of Michigan. Get a Michigan car insurance quote with GEICO.

Michigan Car Insurance Coverage

The state minimum requirements for car insurance in Michigan are:

Coverage State Requirements
Bodily injury liability coverage $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident ($250,000 per person/$500,000 per accident is the default unless Michigan option form is completed)
Property damage liability coverage $10,000
Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage* $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident
Property protection $1 million
Personal injury protection* See chart below with PIP coverage options
Comprehensive Optional, may be required by your lender
Collision Optional, may be required by your lender

*These coverages can be rejected in writing.

Learn more about auto insurance requirements in Michigan.

Personal Injury Protection Limits

Options Limits
Option 1 Unlimited
Option 2 500K
Option 3 250K
Option 4 250K with exclusions - insured must have qualified health insurance
Option 5 50K - insured must be enrolled in Medicaid
Option 6 No PIP Med - insured must have Medicare A & B

Michigan auto insurance reform gives customers more options when it comes to choosing PIP coverage. See Michigan's New Auto Insurance Law FAQs for the most up-to-date information.

Michigan Car Insurance Discounts

Michigan drivers should have auto insurance that delivers exceptional service along with great value. GEICO offers a variety of Michigan car insurance discounts. Discounts on auto insurance available in the state of Michigan include:

Learn more about all of the car insurance discounts that are available to GEICO policyholders in Michigan.

Michigan Driving Resources

Michigan Registration Information

New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State branch office. They must turn in the title from their previous home state to the Michigan Secretary of State branch office.

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lienholder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle. Michigan will issue a registration only for the vehicle. This will allow Michigan to issue a license plate without converting the out-of-state title to a Michigan title.

Prepare your vehicle for winter driving in Michigan.

Due to its location around Lake Michigan, Michigan winters bring a lot of snow. It's important to be sure you drive carefully during inclement weather. Your car should be prepared and properly winterized and contain the essential items to keep you safe. Tire chains and studded tires are legal in Michigan but carry certain restrictions that may be hard for the average driver to meet. Your best bet is to equip your car with a good set of winter tires.

Planning to travel to Canada?

Driving between Michigan and Canada is allowed through four border crossings. If you plan to cross the border, you'll need a U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver's Licence (EDL). EDLs cost $45 and can be obtained directly from the Michigan Secretary of State's office. An EDL will allow you to cross the border without needing a passport. Be sure you also have your insurance ID card with you. Your GEICO insurance ID cards will be sufficient proof of insurance in Canada.

Teen Drivers in Michigan

Michigan teens looking to get their driver's licenses should review the Drivers Under 18 FAQ. Teen drivers who have completed the first segment of driver's education can get a Level 1 Learner's License at age 14 years, 9 months. After driving for six months with at least 50 supervised hours (10 of which at night), teens can get a Level 2 Intermediate License if they are 16 years old. When on a Michigan Level 2 license, the driver cannot drive between 10:00 PM and 5 AM and with no more than one passenger younger than 21 (except family members). All restrictions are lifted at age 17 when the Level 2 Intermediate License turns into a Level 3 Full License for qualified drivers.