New Mexico Car Insurance

Car Insurance in New Mexico

The Land of Enchantment is a big place, and whether you live in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Las Cruces, NM, you're going to do a lot of driving. Luckily, driving there is fairly straightforward. The trademark Sandia Mountains to the east of Albuquerque are an easy navigational landmark, and I-25 and I-40 pass through the center of the city to provide easy access to much of the state. With so much driving to do, New Mexico drivers should carefully consider their car insurance options. If you're currently looking to switch your auto insurance, you can start your free New Mexico auto insurance quote online with GEICO.

Insuring Your Car in New Mexico

New Mexico insurance law requires the following auto insurance coverages:

  • Bodily injury liability: Minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability: Minimum of $10,000 per accident
  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury: Minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident*
  • Uninsured motorist property damage: Minimum of $10,000 per accident*

*You may reject uninsured motorist coverages in New Mexico. To do so, state law requires that you return a signed paper form to your insurance company by mail. A GEICO insurance counselor can assist you to make sure you get the coverage levels that you need.

Some studies have suggested that as many as one in four drivers in New Mexico drives without insurance. Carrying uninsured motorist coverages can help to protect you from these drivers by offering payments if you are hit by someone without insurance or by a hit-and-run driver. Keep in mind that by carrying car insurance in New Mexico you're not only protecting yourself but also other drivers on the road.

New Mexico Teen Driving Laws

New Mexico uses a three-stage licensing system for new drivers under the age of 18. The first stage is the learner's permit, for which teens become eligible at age 15. Only supervised driving with an adult 21 or older is allowed with this permit. It's important to note that a teen must complete or be enrolled in driver's education to receive a permit. At age 15 ½ and after 50 hours of supervised driving, a teen can apply for the provisional license. This license allows teens to drive unsupervised during daytime hours. After holding the provisional license for 12 months, a teen may apply for a full license.

New Mexico Registration Information

If you are taking up residency in New Mexico, you must surrender your license from any other state and apply for a New Mexico license within 30 days of moving to New Mexico.

To obtain a license, the DMV will need the following:

  • Your Social Security card.
  • Proof of identification and age.
  • Two proof-of-residence documents.
  • Certificate of completion of the "None for the Road" class for those age 18-24.
  • You must pass an eye test if you have a license from another state.

To obtain registration for your vehicle, the DMV will need the following:

  • Your certificate of title.
  • Your current certificate of registration from another state.
  • Your odometer reading to complete an odometer statement.
  • Proof of New Mexico residency and your New Mexico residential address.
  • Vehicle ID inspection certificate signed by a full-time law enforcement officer or by an employee at a local DMV field office.
  • Proof of insurance including policy number and insurance carrier name.