New York Car Insurance
Car Insurance In New York
You should know the basics about New York car insurance if you plan to drive here. Whether you live in the heart of New York City, on the shore of Lake Ontario, or anywhere else in the Empire State GEICO can help you get the coverage you need.
Learn more about the car insurance requirements in NY and see how much you could save with a free auto insurance quote that fits your budget.
How To Lower Your NY Car Insurance Premium
There are several NY premium reductions and discounts available that could save you money on GEICO car insurance.
New York Good Driver Discount
Available to policyholders if:
- At least one of the main drivers on the policy has 5 years of driving experience
- All covered drivers have been accident-free for five years leading up to the policy issue date, and
- No drivers have any points assigned
This discount applies to Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Collision, and Personal Injury Protection coverages.
Good Student Discount
Policyholders could qualify for this discount if their son or daughter on the policy is between 16 and 24 years old and is either a full-time student (high school or college) or enrolled in a home study program.
We love saving you money. New York residents who have more than one policy in their GEICO account (one being auto coverage) could get a discount on their New York car insurance premium. Examples include:
- Auto and homeowners
- Auto and renters
- Auto and condominium
- Auto and mobile home
Accident Prevention Course Credit
We also love to reward safe drivers. You could receive a premium reduction on your New York car insurance by taking a state-approved Accident Prevention Course.
New York Car Insurance Laws
New York, A No-Fault Insurance State
In the event of an accident, No-Fault auto insurance helps covered drivers and passengers get back on their feet by paying the insured's bills, regardless of who was at fault. Financial costs are paid through the insureds' Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which New York's No-Fault Law requires all drivers to carry.
Personal Injury Protection in NY offers the following benefits if an insured is in an accident:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- A portion of lost work earnings for up to three years
- Death benefits
- Other household expenses
How much car insurance coverage do I need in New York?
If your car is registered with the NY Department of Motor Vehicles, your insurance must meet the following New York liability coverage minimums:
- Bodily Injury liability coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Property Damage liability coverage: $10,000 per accident
- Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury coverage: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Personal Injury Protection: $50,000
While these are the minimum coverages New York requires you to have, everyone's insurance needs are different. Visit our Coverage Calculator to get a personalized recommendation.
New York Teen Driver Laws
If your teen is getting close to the driving age, you and your teen should know:
- At age 16, people in New York become eligible for a learner permit. To receive the permit, drivers must pay the application fee and pass a written test.
- The learner permit allows them to drive between 5:01 am and 8:59 pm with a parent, guardian or driving instructor and transport no more than one non-family member under age 21.
- After six months with a learner permit and 50 hours of supervised driving (including 15 hours of night-time practice), a driver can test to receive a junior driver's license.
- Drivers who only have a junior license aren't allowed to drive within the five boroughs of New York City, so it's often beneficial to bypass the junior driver's license until he or she qualifies for a senior license.
- Outside of New York City, the junior license is valid with a series of curfew and passenger restrictions specific to each county.
- At age 18 (or age 17 if the driver has completed a driver training course) drivers may apply for a senior driver's license with no restrictions.
Please Help GEICO Assist You...
If you and/or your child has been the victim of domestic violence and you're a GEICO policyholder, or if you're involved in a claim that is being handled by GEICO, and you need your personal contact information protected, please review our information for New York Domestic Abuse Confidentiality.
Check Out a New Quote
You are about to leave geico.com