Compare Car Insurance Quotes & Rates
Compare auto insurance quotes to get the best rate.
Are you looking for affordable car insurance? If you're buying a new car or shopping for a new insurance company, we encourage you to compare car insurance rates to make sure you're getting the best value.
Comparing auto insurance quotes doesn't need to be complicated. We're here to help you understand your options and make the best choice for your auto insurance needs. Get your FREE car insurance quote with GEICO now.
Differences Between a Car Insurance Quote and Your Policy Rate
An auto insurance quote is an estimate of what a policy rate will be based on the info you give and the requested coverages and limits. If complete information isn't provided when you get the quote or coverage information changes, the rate for your actual policy may change.
Here's some examples of things that could cause differences between the quote amount and the policy rate.
- If you start a quote with your vehicle, make, and model but no vehicle identification number (VIN), your rate may change after you enter the full VIN.
- If you don't provide details about accidents you've been in (even minor ones), your policy rate may be higher.
- If you forget to provide details about the driving history for the drivers under the policy, that may lead to a higher rate.
If you're preparing to get a quote, make sure you have all the accurate and complete information to make the process easier. You'll need:
- A valid driver's license
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for all vehicles
- Address where the vehicle will be stored
- Driving history for you and any other drivers
How to compare car insurance quotes.
When you're doing a comparison of auto insurance quotes or rates, make sure they're for the same:
Comparing car insurance can be a straightforward process once you understand what parts of a quote you need to compare. But what about the terms you encounter when getting an auto insurance quote? What is the difference between uninsured and underinsured motorist coverages? Read on for some tips that can make the comparison process quick and easy.
1. Decide on auto insurance coverages.
When you compare car insurance rates, make sure you select the same set of coverages for each quote. Coverage requirements vary and some coverages are optional. See our state car insurance guides for state-specific information.
Here's an overview to help compare car insurance coverages:
- Comprehensive coverage may pay for losses resulting from incidents other than collision
- Collision coverage may pay for damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by another vehicle or other object
- Uninsured motorist coverage may help compensate you for your injuries caused by a person driving without insurance
- Underinsured motorist coverage may protect you from drivers who cause an accident and may not have enough insurance to pay for your injuries
- Medical payments coverage may pay medical expenses related to an auto accident
- Personal injury protection may pay for your medical treatment, lost wages, or other accident–related expenses
Our Coverage Calculator is your best friend when it comes to understanding the terms you need to know while comparing car insurance quotes. Other important terms include:
- Rental reimbursement may help pay your rental car costs while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim
- Emergency road service may pay for towing of a disabled car to the nearest shop for repairs or for mechanical labor, up to one hour, at the place of breakdown
- Mechanical breakdown insurance may help cover services while your car is repaired or if your car breaks down
2. Choose deductibles.
A deductible is the amount of money you pay out of pocket towards a claim. If you choose a higher deductible, it may lower your premium. Make sure you choose the same deductible for each quote when comparing auto insurance rates with different insurers.
3. Review and compare liability limits.
Liability coverage is required in most states. You can easily check your minimum state car insurance coverages.
If liability limit doesn't sound familiar, you may know it better in this format: 100/300/50.
That's just an example, but you'll commonly see three numbers listed together on an auto insurance quote.
- 100 = $100,000 per person in bodily injury liability coverage limit
- 300 = $300,000 per occurrence in bodily injury liability coverage
- 50 = $50,000 per occurrence in property damage liability coverage
Bodily injury liability coverage may pay if you are in an accident and responsible for another person's injury.
Property damage liability coverage may pay if you're responsible for damage to another person's property. For more details, review additional information on car insurance coverages.
If you've stepped up your insurance terms game as a result of the above information, get a fast auto insurance quote from GEICO and see how much you could save.
Why choose GEICO when you compare car insurance?
For 85 years, we've been working hard to provide outstanding customer service at an affordable price. Here are 10 reasons to switch to GEICO car insurance:
- New customers report an average annual savings over $500*
- Lots of auto insurance discounts available
- 97% customer satisfaction rating**
- We're available 24/7/365
- Our #1 rated insurance app***
- Vehicle insurance options for your motorcycle, ATV, and RV
- Help with property insurance too: homeowners, renters, and condo
- Easy insurance payments options to fit your budget
- Claim repairs guaranteed for as long as you own your car, with Auto Repair Xpress®
With GEICO, you don't have to compromise quality for low-cost car insurance. Get your free car insurance quote today.
Car Insurance Coverage FAQs
What do you need to compare car insurance quotes online?To get the most accurate quote(s), it's best to have the below information available for all drivers and vehicles you plan to have on the policy:
- Driver license and driving history information
- Vehicle information numbers (VIN) and location (addresses) where they are kept and driven
Why is it important to compare auto insurance quotes?Even though most insurance companies use the same customer information to provide a quote, each company has their own approach to pricing and discounts. Comparing quotes between different companies allows you to make the best coverage and price decision for your situation.
Does a low car insurance rate mean you'll get the best coverage?Not always. Make sure when comparing quotes you select the same coverages, policy limits, and deductibles. If any of these are different, it could result in a lower or higher quote.
*Average savings amount based on national GEICO New Policyholder survey data through June 2022.
**Customer satisfaction based on an independent study conducted by Alan Newman Research, 2022.
***The GEICO Mobile app and site received #1 rankings according to the Dynatrace Q1 and Q3 2020 Mobile Insurance Scorecards
Recurring Card Payments charged to a credit or debit card and Electronic Funds Transfer payments made under a recurring payment plan are subject to installment fee charges. Please refer to your premium bill for installment fee details and amounts.
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans and features are not available in all states or all GEICO companies, or in all situations. Motorcycle and ATV coverages are underwritten by GEICO Indemnity Company. Homeowners, renters, and condo coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, LLC. GEICO is a registered service mark of Government Employees Insurance Company, Washington, D.C. 20076; a Berkshire Hathaway Inc. subsidiary. © 2022 GEICO
The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.
We're here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The quickest way to contact us is through our app or online. You can also chat for immediate help.
Check Out a New Quote
You are about to leave geico.com