How to Compare Car Insurance Quotes
Compare car insurance to see how much you could save.
Are you looking for a lower car insurance premium? If you're buying a new car or shopping around for a new insurance provider, comparing car insurance rates is a great way to make sure you're getting the best value.
Comparing auto insurance quotes doesn't need to be complicated. Follow a few simple guidelines to ensure you're comparing the right components of car insurance. We're here to help you understand your options and make the best choice for your auto insurance needs. You can get a free car insurance quote with GEICO right now.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
When comparing car insurance quotes or rates, make sure they're for the same:
Comparing car insurance can be a straightforward process once you understand what parts of a quote you need to compare. But what about the terminology you encounter when getting an auto insurance quote? What is the difference between Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverages? Read on for a quick and easy overview of the comparison process.
1. Decide on Coverages
When you compare car insurance rates, make sure you select the same set of coverages for each quote. Coverage requirements vary and some coverages are optional. See our state car insurance guides for state-specific information.
Here's an overview to help compare coverages:
- Comprehensive coverage may pay for losses resulting from incidents other than collision
- Collision coverage may pay for damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by another vehicle or other object
- Uninsured Motorist coverage may help compensate you for your injuries caused by a person driving without insurance
- Underinsured Motorist coverage may protect you from drivers who cause an accident and may not have enough insurance to pay for your injuries
- Medical Payments coverage may pay medical expenses related to an auto accident
- Personal Injury Protection may pay for your medical treatment, lost wages, or other accident–related expenses
Our Coverage Calculator is your best friend when it comes to understanding the terms you need to know while comparing car insurance quotes. Other important terms include:
- Rental Reimbursement may help pay your rental car costs while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim
- Emergency Road Service (ERS) may pay for towing of a disabled car to the nearest shop for repairs or for mechanical labor, up to one hour, at the place of breakdown
- Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) may help cover services while your car is repaired or if your car breaks down
2. Choose Deductibles
A deductible is the amount of money you pay out of pocket towards a claim. If you choose a higher deductible, it may lower your premium. Make sure you choose the same deductible for each quote when comparing auto insurance rates with different insurers.
3. Review & Compare Liability Limits
Liability coverage is required in most states. You can easily check your minimum state car insurance coverages.
If liability limit doesn't sound familiar, you may know it better in this format: 100/300/50.
That's just an example, but you'll commonly see three numbers listed together on an auto insurance quote.
- 100 = $100,000 per person in Bodily Injury liability coverage limit
- 300 = $300,000 per occurrence in Bodily Injury liability coverage
- 50 = $50,000 per occurrence in Property Damage liability coverage
Bodily Injury liability coverage may pay if you are in an accident and responsible for another person's injury.
If you've stepped up your insurance terms game as a result of the above information, get a fast auto insurance quote from GEICO and see how much you could save.
Why choose GEICO when you compare car insurance?
For over 75 years, we've been working hard to provide outstanding customer service at an affordable price. Here are 10 reasons to switch to GEICO car insurance:
- New customers report an average annual savings over $500*
- Lots of auto insurance discounts available
- 97% customer satisfaction rating**
- We're available 24/7/365
- Our #1 rated insurance app***
- Use your voice to check on your policy
- Vehicle insurance options for your motorcycle, ATV, and RV
- Help with property insurance too: homeowners, renters, and condo
- Easy insurance payments options to fit your budget
- Claim repairs guaranteed for as long as you own your car, with Auto Repair Xpress®
With GEICO, you don't have to compromise quality for low-cost car insurance. Get your free car insurance quote today.
The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.
*Average savings amount based on national GEICO New Policyholder survey data through March 2018.
**Customer satisfaction based on an independent study conducted by Alan Newman Research, 2018.
***The GEICO Mobile app and site received #1 rankings according to Dynatrace's 2018 Q1 Mobile Insurance Scorecard.
Recurring Card Payments charged to a credit or debit card and Electronic Funds Transfer payments made under a recurring payment plan are subject to installment fee charges. Please refer to your premium bill for installment fee details and amounts.
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans and features are not available in all states or all GEICO companies. Motorcycle and ATV coverages are underwritten by GEICO Indemnity Company. Homeowners, renters and condo coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. GEICO is a registered service mark of Government Employees Insurance Company, Washington, D.C. 20076; a Berkshire Hathaway Inc. subsidiary. © 2018 GEICO