How to Shop for Car Insurance
When comparing car insurance rates, make sure you're looking at similar policies. It's easy to get a fast quote for cheap car insurance online or over the phone anytime. And with a 97% customer satisfaction rating*, why not start with GEICO? Here are the basics on how to shop for car insurance.
1. Find what you need to get a quote.
The first step in shopping for car insurance is to get a quote. To get an accurate car insurance quote, you'll need to provide some basic information. In addition to your name, address, and date of birth, some questions you may be asked include:
- Type of vehicle and how you use it
- Any other drivers that will be on the policy
- Education and profession
- Auto insurance history
- Accident history
Not sure about something? You can always save your quote at any step and come back later.
2. Determine how much coverage you need.
When shopping for the best car insurance, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. If you already have auto insurance, have your current policy details handy to understand your current limits and deductibles. You can also use our Coverage Calculator to help determine what's best for you.
Some things to consider when shopping for a policy:
- Check the minimum coverage requirements for auto insurance in your state.
- Consider carrying a higher deductible to lower your premium. A $500 deductible is a popular choice.
- Collision coverage provides protection for your car.
- Liability coverage helps protect your personal assets in the event you are responsible for injuries or damage.
3. Look for car insurance discounts.
It's important to look for discounts when shopping for car insurance. Safe driving definitely has its rewards. We also love safe vehicles. Get a quote and see if you qualify for additional discounts on your policy, including:
4. Get a car insurance quote.
You may need additional information about yourself and your vehicle to get an accurate auto insurance quote. Gathering the following items before you start will help you be prepared:
- Valid driver's license and number
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Address the vehicle will be stored
5. Compare insurance quotes.
When shopping for car insurance, if you are getting quotes from different companies, you may want to compare them. For a useful comparison, make sure the quotes are for the same:
Comparing car insurance can be a straightforward process once you understand what parts of the quote you need to compare. You also need to consider the service you will get after you purchase. GEICO has a 97% customer satisfaction rating* and provides anytime access to licensed insurance agents 24/7/365.
Below you can find some additional resources that can make shopping for car insurance even easier with GEICO:
- Types of Car Insurance Coverages
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Car Insurance Discounts
- Comparing Car Insurance Quotes
The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions, exclusions or any other provision expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.
*Customer satisfaction based on an independent study conducted by Alan Newman Research, 2020.
Check Out a New Quote
You are about to leave geico.com