Texas Car Insurance
Car Insurance Coverage In Texas
Howdy! Are you new in town and looking for a Texas car insurance quote? Or maybe you've been settled in the Lone Star state for a while and want to lasso the best rate. Either way, GEICO can help. Whether you plan on driving in one of the bustling cities like Austin or Houston or sticking to the scenic roads of the Texas Hill Country, you'll want the right auto insurance policy.
See for yourself why so many of your fellow Texan drivers are switching to GEICO for car insurance. Start your online Texas auto insurance quote anytime. It's fast and free.
Additional Auto Insurance Information For Your City In Texas
Texans know driving is different depending on the city. What you need for car insurance in Houston may be different than what you need for car insurance in Austin, Dallas, or San Antonio. Be sure to gather as much information as you can to make the right decision about your car insurance needs.
Texas Auto Insurance Laws
In Texas, you'll need proof of auto insurance when/if you:
- Get a car inspection
- Register a car
- Complete certain transactions pertaining to your driver's license
- Are pulled over by law enforcement
The fine for driving without insurance in Texas can be up to $1,000 plus surcharges to the annual driver's license fee. Avoid the headache and hassle and make sure you have at least the minimum required coverage.
Minimum Texas Car Insurance Coverage
Texas requires drivers to carry at minimum the following auto insurance coverages:
- Bodily Injury Liability: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident
- Property Damage Liability: $25,000
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $2,500 unless you reject this coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident unless you reject this coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $25,000 and a $250 deductible unless your reject this coverage
While these are the minimum coverages Texas requires you to have, everyone's insurance needs are different. Visit our Coverage Calculator to get a personalized recommendation.
Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance
Are you planning a trip to Mexico by car? As a GEICO auto policyholder, we could help you get auto insurance for your drive to Mexico.
Texas Teen Driving Laws
If your Texan teen is getting close to the driving age, you both should know:
- At age 15, individuals can apply for learner license. This allow young drivers to practice driving if they're with a licensed driver at least 21 years old.
- Drivers may then apply for a provisional license at age 16, after successfully completing:
- Hold a valid learners or hardship license for a minimum of six months;
- Complete classroom and behind-the-wheel portions of driver education;
- Pass the Impact Texas Teen Driver (ITTD) course; and
- Obtain a passing score on the driving test.
- The provisional driver's license is valid until they turn 18, at which time all restrictions are lifted.
Texas Good Student Discount
Drivers and their parents may be eligible for a Good Student Discount if the student meets the following conditions:
- 16 to 25 years of age or older; and
- Enrolled fulltime in an educational institution (high school, college or home schooled); and
- Maintains a "B" average or a 3.0 GPA
Get a quote today to see how much you can save with a Good Student Discount.