Car Insurance for Teen & Young Drivers
Keeping Them in the Family
GEICO makes it easy to move your teen or young driver to their own auto insurance policy. We can apply discounts they qualify for and give them the benefit of their experience on your policy. They'll also continue getting the same great customer service you get today. We're here to help—from making a policy change, filing a claim, or even just asking us a question.
How to Add a Teen Driver to your Car Insurance
It's important that your teen driver has the proper amount of insurance car coverage before they get behind the wheel. Luckily, adding them to your auto insurance policy is easy. It may also be cheaper than getting them a new policy of their own. Contact a GEICO agent when you teen gets their permit or driver's license to get a quote for a new driver on your policy. Be sure to ask about Good Student Discounts that can potentially save you even more on your car insurance.
Educating Yourself and Your Young Driver
By helping your teen driver gain the experience they need to stay safe on the road you shape a responsible attitude about driving. And you can help teens gain the experience they need to stay safe on the road—and could help keep your car insurance rates low. We've compiled some helpful resources to get you started.
Safety Resources for Teen Drivers
- Feeling social? Subscribe to our Teen Drivers channel on You Tube for safety videos for and about teens.
- Graduated drivers license: Proven to improve teen safety and their driving skills, learn why this important tool is one you should be using.
- Ten tips for parents: What contributes to teen accidents? How can parents help prepare their teen for the dangers of driving? Read our top ten tips to help you prepare for this transitional period.
- Teens and safe cars: A major factor in teen safety is the kind of car they drive. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the Insurance Information Institute (III) say a safe vehicle can make a big difference.
Information from the GEICO Educational Foundation
Driver's first 6 months: The first 6 months your teen is on the road are critical. During the first six months of solo driving, new teen drivers are at the highest risk for car crashes. Learn why and then go over our Parent-Teen Contract with your young driver before they hit the road.
Teen Driving Resources: Find brochures, presentations and a parent-teen contract for educating teens and parents on the challenges facing young drivers.
Save on Car Insurance Costs for Teens
- Cutting costs: Adding a teenage to your car insurance policy can be daunting, but there are steps you can take to help save money on premiums.
- Look into car insurance discounts for students. GEICO offers eligible students Good Student Discounts in most states, as well as discounts for members of certain student organizations.
GEICO invites driver's education, law enforcement, civic and community organizations that provide education on highway and traffic safety to download a supply of our materials at no cost. For a complete list of brochures and presentations, please visit our Auto Safety Library.
GEICO contracts with various membership entities and other organizations, but these entities do not underwrite the offered insurance products.
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans, and features are not available in all states or all GEICO companies. Discount amount varies in some states. One group discount applicable per policy. Coverage is individual. In New York a premium reduction may be available. GEICO may not be involved in a formal relationship with each organization; however, you still may qualify for a special discount based on your membership, employment, or affiliation with these organizations.
Check Out a New Quote
You are about to leave geico.com